By Thomas Bach Jensen/DWB
Bred by Linette Jæger, Suzuan (Blue Hors Zack x Blue Horse Don Schufro), the Danish Warmblood (DWB) stallion and triple world champion for young horses is making a huge impact in Denmark as a dressage sire, producing high-scoring offspring at saddle gradings, performance tests and young-horse championships.
Fifteen of the 35 qualified dressage horses for the Danish Warmblood young horse championships in Herning next March (6th to 10th), and five of the six highest-placed horses are by Sezuan, who has had an impressive show record himself. As a three-year-old he became a record-scoring winner of the 35-day stallion performance test; as a four-year-old he won the Danish Equestrian Federation’s championship finals for dressage horses, and then went on to win the FEI/WBFSH World Breeding Championship for Young Horses (WBCYH) for five- and six-year-olds in Verden, and for seven-year-olds in Ermelo. The 15 young horses qualified for Herning are out of the 2014 generation, from which Sezuan has 157 foals registered with Danish Warmblood.
The highest-scoring dressage horse from the Herning qualifiers was the gelding Elverhøjs Raccolto (Sezuan) and out of the first DWB horse to win a medal at the WBCYH, Polka Hit Nexen (Sandro Hit) who won silver in 2008. He scored 920 points under the saddle of Germany’s Meike Lang, and was bred by Berith Nielsen. Runner-up was the gold medal mare Queenparks Wendy (Sezuan x Blue Hors Soprano), bred by Kurt Gosmer, with 900 points ridden by Søren Wind.
The other qualified Sezuan offspring are (with damsire in brackets):
• 4th – Sauternes (Londonderry), ridden by Cathrine Dufour (870)
• 5th – Sundance (Blue Hors Romanov) ridden by Søren Wind,
• 6th – Saigon Majlund (Blue Hors Hertug) ridden by Manuel Springhetti (860)
• 10th – Shirley (Solos Carex) ridden by Camilla Ahlers Pedersen (855)
• 17th – Safir V (Pablo) ridden by Emma Ahlberg (830)
• 18th – JJ Sancerre (Blue Hors Romanov) ridden by Jan Møller Christensen (830)
• 20th – Diaz By Zaber (De Niro) ridden by Carina Cassøe Krüth (830)
• 26th – Sazerac Havdal (Come Back II) ridden by Jan Møller Christensen (820)
• 29th Shanghai (Don Frederico) ridden by Mette Brandt (815)
• 30th – Sorbét (Swarovski) ridden by Ida Hofmann-Bang (815)
• 31st – Zidan-DN (Blue Hors Future Cup) ridden by Kenneth Damgaard (810)
• 32nd – Rosenkildes Schumacher (Blue Hors Don Schufro) ridden by Ida Hofman-Bang (810)
• 33rd – Smiley Pax (White magic) ridden by Camilla Ahlers Pedersen (805)
When Sweden’s dressage international Patrik Kittel tests the best of the dressage horses at the 40th DWB stallion licensing in Herning, he may well be riding a lot of talented and very promising Sezuan offspring! n