By Christopher Hector
Photography: FEI/Leanjo de Koster
The Germans have mastered the art of creating competitions that lead their horses gently through the grades as they grow and mature, starting with riding horse classes, through young dressage classes, the Berg-Pokal, then as a final step on the way to Grand Prix, the Louisdor.
All over Germany, horses between eight and 10 years of age, compete for the honour of travelling to Frankfurt at the end of the year for the Louisdor, and this year the combinations were:
• Sönke Rothenberger/Fendi: 2014 Danish Warmblood gelding by KWPN Franklin (Ampère x Ferro) out of a Danish mare, Kjaerholm's Dublet (by the Danish stallion, Diamond (by the Absatz son, Allergo, out of a mare by Donauwind) – bred by Danish Derby Horse Shows ApS;
• Frederic Wandres/Harrods: 2013 Hannoverian gelding by Hochadel (Hohenstein x Donnerhall) out of Rebecca by Rotspon, out of a Lauries Crusader mare;
• Marcus Hermes/Facilone: 2012 Hannoverian gelding by Fürstenball out of a De Niro mare. Fourth line reads: Florestan, Dawina (Donnerhall); Donnerhall, Marella (Classiker); Donnerhall, Alicante (Akzent II); Weltmeyer, Bodega (Bolero) – bred by Günter Lindwehr;
• Svenja Kämper-Meyer/Amanyara M: 2013 Hanoverian mare by Ampère, out of a Davignon mare – bred by Hans-Jürgen Meyer;
• Stefanie Wolf/Matchball: 2012 Oldenburg gelding by Millennium out of a De Niro mare – bred by Helga Lütje;
• Christian Reisch/Qattani: 2012 Hannoverian gelding by Quaterhall (Quaterback x Donnerhall) out of a Lanthan x Akzent I mare – bred by Hans-Jürgen and Andrea Dankers;
• Nina Kudernak/Queolito: 2012 Hannoverian gelding by Quaterhall out of a Fürst Romancier x Warkant mare – bred by Christine Richter;
• Ann-Kathrin Lindner/Lord of Dance: 2012 Bad-Wü gelding, by Lingh (Flemmingh) out of a Jazz Time (Jazz x Romadour II) Disco-Taenzer mare – bred by Dieter Schmid;
• Rudolf Widmann/Revenant: 2012 Westfalian stallion Rock Forever NRW x Sir Donnerhall I – bred by Katharina Hadeler;
• Ralf Kornprobst/TSF Cayenne RS, 2012 Trakehner gelding by Imperio out of a Kaiserdom TSF mare – bred by Hubertus Poll.
There were only two stallions with more than one entry in the Louisdor: the Celle stallion Quaterhall, and the Dutch-bred Ampère represented by a daughter and a grand-son.
I first saw Quaterhall at the Bundeschampionate of 2006 in the five-year-old dressage class. At the time, I noted the dark chestnut was a good size, with longer lines and a nice natural trot. The judges seemed to agree, awarding him a 9.0 for trot, an 8.0 for walk, and a 9.0 for canter, for a fourth place on a score of 8.50. Quaterhall went on to compete, very moderately, in the small tour for winnings of €3,825. So far he is the sire of 13 small-tour contestants, two now competing Grand Prix, both in the 2022 Louisdor.
In all he is the sire of 201 competitors, 16 S-level dressage, with earnings of €65,173. On the 2022 FEI standings Quaterhall has a young horse value of 127, highest level achieved value of 147. He has Hanoverian breeding value of 116 for type, 145 for limbs with a dressage value of 104... To read the complete article you need to be a subscriber
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO BREEDING NEWS
SUBSCRIBERS CAN READ THE COMPLETE ARTICLE BY LOGGING IN AND RETURNING TO THIS PAGE